Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Deck The Halls!


Tonight we decorated our Christmas Tree.
We have a tradition in our family, we give each other an ornament every year that represents what happened that year, or we give an ornament that we can write on all of the things that have been accomplished that year.
So, decorating the Christmas Tree is a walk down memory lane. The boys ask Brad to read to them what was written on the ornament or to tell them why that ornament was chosen for them. It makes us smile, laugh, and sometimes we even get a little teary eyed. It is one of my favorite nights of the year. We have a beautiful life!

The moose at the bottom of the page was given to Tyler in the ER on his first Christmas. We took him out of the hospital for the first time on Christmas Eve of 1999. The next day we were back in the ER for another blood transfusion. We thought the moose's sweater might fit Tyler, so we tried it on him. It was too big. The thought of Tyler in a stuffed animals sweater still makes me laugh!

Each one of these ornaments has a story or a special memory that goes with them.

Over the past couple of days, I have had these two little elf's helping me decorate for Christmas!
I have so enjoyed them!

I collect Christmas Books. In the Corner of this photo (by the lamp) is part of my collection. The book on top is an Erickson Family Favorite, A Snowman Named Just Bob. It is a charming book that reminds me of my Dad.
The boxes under the tree have Christmas toys or books for my kids to play with.

This is an Erickson Family Heirloom. I feel so blessed to have it in our home!
This was my Mom and Dad's. It was a gift to them from my Aunt Sheryl.
It was a Christmas Tradition to have this Nativity on our mantle all growing up.
The little pieces of hay that you see there is the same hay that I would sprinkle over the Nativity when I was little.
This morning before Tyler left for school he sifted through the shredded news paper in the box and carefully pulled out each piece. We talked about the birth of our Savior and why we celebrate Christmas. Growing up, I can remember setting up this very Nativity. I am sure that my Mom and I shared a similar tender moment while decorating for Christmas at out childhood home.


These are the same stockings we had growing up.

9 comments:

Genevieve said...

So fun! It all looks amazing.

Erik and Tammy said...

All this Christmas cuteness is almost going to pull me out of my decorating apathy. It all looks so warm and inviting! Great job!

Tara said...

Erin-
I really think you should write a book... it could be called...

"How to be the best mom in the world!"

or

"How to be a SUPERMOM!"

You are so amazing. I am constantly in awe of all the you do, the wonderful ideas you have that create memories for you family, the beauty that you create on your BLOG and in your home and the pure strength of heart that you exhibit in all areas of your life!

You are truly an inspiration!

Much Love and admiration...

Laura Hyde said...

You are an amazing decorator!

ericksonsanddaughter said...

It looks great. You're home is so beautiful. Seeing the Nativity brings a bit of emotion. I loved pulling out the things we got last year. What fun memories and traditions to keep alive!

johnandcourtney said...

You are the cutest. Seriously, everything you do is impeccable. I love that you have the nativity and the stockings. Those are the best memories.

Jen said...

i spy a few things that look familiar :o)

your house looks amazing. can i tell you that when you posted a picture at halloween that had the shelf with the window on it i totally copied it. i have an old window and just happened to have a small red wreath. keep the pictures coming, girl. maybe my house will look as good as yours.

Anonymous said...

I love your decorations! Beautiful tree!

Jen Souter said...

As always love your fun decor! You have such a talent! Love ya Jen