Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Angels Are Watching Over Me!

It was 6:15 am last Thursday. I woke up early and was getting ready to do my Pilate's video. The boys and I had put Brad on a plane to China 24 hours earlier. Brad and I had known for about 10 days that we were expecting another baby! We were excited, but guarded (I miscarried twins in August) about the thought of adding to our family! I walked into the front room to put the video in, when I began to cramp a little. So I sat down on the couch thinking that the cramp would pass...it didn't! The cramp escalated until I felt nauseous, my ears started ringing, and when I started to black out I knew that I had to make it to the phone to call for help. Through powers beyond my own, I made it. I called 911. I was able to calmly give them my address and tell them a portion of what was going on and then I blacked out. When I came too I heard the voice on the other end of the line calling for me to answer. I don't remember what I said after I came too, but he said that the ambulance was on the way and that he was going to hang up. I didn't want him too. I was scared and I didn't want to feel alone. I needed someone to be with me. I was in so much pain! Through another heavenly guided intervention, Nicole, my next door neighbor's number came to me and I was able to call them for help. She made it over to the house, I opened the front door. All I remember after that was sitting on the couch, Nicole's hand was on my back. That warm gentle pressure of her hand saved me from passing out again... The power of human touch! My body was in convulsions at that point because of the pain. The paramedics arrived, they put me on the stretcher and carried me out to the ambulance. My boys didn't know any of this was going on. They were still asleep. Thank goodness! I cannot imaging the trauma of seeing your Mom taken away in an ambulance and of not knowing what would happen to her... Another heavenly blessing!
I made two calls from my cell phone on the way to the hospital. Both of the numbers I dialed, but I was in too much pain to talk. The paramedics talked to Brad, in China first, to let him know what was going on, and then my sister in law, Jenny so she could meet me at the hospital. After those calls were made I remember them starting an IV, and telling me that usually they would take an OB case into Salt Lake, but my condition was too unstable to make it that far. After that, I have no recollection of the rest of the ride.
In the ER the nurse put a second IV into my other arm. When I asked her "why two?", she told me that my condition could become critical! I was so scared. I told them to do anything that needed to be done, just make me better! 100% Better! All that was important to me was to be with Brad again and be a mother to my boys! My family is my life and my love and I just wanted everything back the way it was before.
I am not sure when ,in all of the chaos that surrounded me, that Jenny arrived in the ER, but she seemed to make everything better! An angel! Again...The power of touch saved me! Her hand did not leave me. My arm, my leg, it didn't matter where...her touch was always there. It comforted me and brought me peace in such a scary time!
After an ultrasound it was determined that I had a seven week fetus attached to my left tube (FYI that is not where it should be). The severe pain I felt at home happened because my tube ruptured and I was bleeding internally. I would need to go into surgery ASAP!
I knew before I went into surgery I wanted a priesthood blessing. Once again, angels came to administer to me, my brother, Drew and Nicole's husband, Wade. I also think that my Dad was there in spirit, with me every step of the way that day! I was filled with peace after the blessing and I knew everything would be OK.
When I came out of surgery I found out that I lost another pregnancy(you can never save a tubal pregnancy, but the pain of longing of a baby was still there!), my left tube was gone, and I had lost masses of blood. I was in a tremendous amount of pain, and the world around me was spinning. Did this really happen to me???
As I sit here reflecting tonight about the events of the last week... four blood transfusions, three incisions in my abdomen, two days in the hospital, and a terribly painful recovery.
I truly am just grateful to be alive!!
Angels are watching over me!
PS I could not have made it through this week with out my Mom! She took over and picked up all the pieces! She took care of my boys, my home, and she did everything in her power to help me heal! I am so blessed that she is in my life!
Thank you to my family, friends, and neighbors for all of your love, concern, and support. You all have blessed my life! You are loved and so appreciated!

20 comments:

birdbabies said...

you are truly an amazing woman! I know that i'm clear up here in logan, but if you EVER need ANYTHING please call me! i'm so glad to hear that you are recovering well. we love you guys! you are amazing!

The Bornies said...

Awwww Erin....We love you so much! I don't know what I would have done if something happened to you! Thank you for being so strong. I am so thankful that your "Little Angels" were with you during that scary time. (AND, you better call me if I can do ANYTHING.)
Love,
Sonni

Alli said...

Erin - As I read your story it took me back seven years ago when the exact thing happened to me. I sit here crying just remembering and KNOWING your thoughts and pain. I too had a tubal pregnancy and was bleeding internally. I knew something was wrong for four days but no one listened including doctors. Finally I begged for them to do something for the pain and when the doctor saw my ultrasound, panicked, ran into the waiting room and yelled at the secretary to cancel everyone else for the day, threw me in a wheel chair, and then literally ran me across to the hospital yelling at those receptionists that I would check in later - we needed to be in surgery asap!! Well, that just sends a girl (me) over the edge. We, too, have cried over the loss of the dreams of having more children, but are grateful everyday for the two we have. I just want to let you know that you are in my thoughts, my prayers, and my heart!! Please let me know if you need to talk. Thank you for sharing your story and the miracle that happened! Love ya, Alli

Kristi said...

Erin,
Our thoughts and prayers are with you! Your story made me cry, just thinking about how we are watched over. Some people wouldn't recognize the little blessings of angels amid a trial, but you do. You are a real example to me. I would love to take your boys or do anything else that would help out.

Jen Souter said...

Erin I love you so much and am very happy that you are okay and that you were able to share that story. Angels are watching over you for one because you are an angel yourself and have saved me many a times! What a blessing moms are! I am so glad you have a loving and caring mom. Thanks for your inspiration and your wonderful spirit! Love ya lots Jen

Unknown said...

ERIN! I just have tears all over my face right now!!!! I wish I could give you a BIG FAT HUG. You are one strong woman. I am so sorry for your losses. I hope that you continue to heal physically and be strengthened spiritually - since that is the only thing that will get us through times like these. I am sure you are more thankful now then ever for your two angel boys that you can hold and love. If it werent for Brigitte I would have mourned my losses FOREVER! You are so amazing to have gratitude and appreciation during this REALLY painful and difficult time. It says a lot about you and the way you choose to live your life.

I will keep you and your family in my prayers!
xoxo

Erik and Tammy said...

Oh Erin, my heart is in my throat! I want to ditto everything that everyone else said, plus I want to add, I love you too and I want to help any way I can. You have always been able to help me put my life back into perspective. Take it easy and get better!

Jen said...

erin, i am so sorry for your loss. my heart goes out to you. i had a miscarriage before our second son was born. it wasn't as traumatic as yours but i can still empathize with what you are going through. you will be in my prayers as you heal.
psalm 34:18 "the lord is close to the broken hearted."

glenna said...

Erin,
I too was crying when I read about your loss. I am so sorry that this happened to you. I am relieved that you had angels around you to help you in your time of need. Please let me know if you need anything. You are a great example of strength to me.

BLAU said...

Erin- that brought me to tears! How scary, you are so strong I admire you so much and am so grateful you are my sister! I am so grateful you were watched over I have been thanking Heavenly Father day for helping you each step of the way! I can't begin to eplain ho much you mean to me.

Anonymous said...

Erin,
I am so glad that you are alright! You are a very strong and faithful woman and such a wonderful example to me. Thank you for sharing your story with us. You are amazing and Heavenly Father was watching over you and blessing you! Please call me if you need ANYTHING!!!!

Tara said...

Erin-
I am so sorry for your losses. I marvel at your incredibly positive outlook on life and events that transpire. You will be blessed for enduring the challenges in such a wonderfully inspiring and uplifting way.
You are an absolutely wonderful woman.
Much love, understanding and many prayers of love to you.

Philip and Melissa said...

I'm still in shock about everything that has happened but just know that you are loved. You're so right, you and brad are so blessed and I'm so grateful you are ok!!!! love you so much!

Burnside Family said...

Erin you are an amazing person and so blessed. Courtney told me what happened but sitting here reading it with tears streaming down my face, I know that you truly did have angels watching over you.Your courage and strength are commendable.Take care.
Julie

ericksonsanddaughter said...

Hey Erin,
I am glad you are on the mend. I know I spoke with your mom several times on your condition and not you. I hope you will forgive me but I just didn't want to disturb you from resting. I am so grateful that you are feeling better. You really are a tough gal. I love you a lot and glad to have you as a sister.
Love,
Janet

Laura Hyde said...

It seems like everyday I have more and more reasons to just admire you and want to be a woman with strength and courage like you. You are such a strength and example to so many people. God knew we couldn't lose you. Thank you for your thoughts and your life. Our prayers are with you. Please let me know if I can do anything at all.

Emily Patterson said...

Erin I can't believe that this happened to you. Isn't it awesome that we are never alone....we have family, friends, and angels. Hoping the best for you, Emily
It is great to see your blog :)

SPARKY said...

my sweet friend. i'd not read your blog in a while and jen told me about what happened. i want you to know i went through the exact same thing years ago, and a cyst the size of a baseball to go with it. so i know how aweful it is. scary and traumatic. my prayers are with you as you continue to heal friend.

Sarahmanarah said...

Thanks for sharing. Your life helps mine.

Camille said...

Erin! I am so sorry you have had to go through all of this. You are an amazing, sweet, beautiful woman of grace. I am thinking of you. Camille (Garner)