Saturday, October 3, 2009

The Harvest

We have an apple tree in our back yard and every year I am perplexed with what to do with all of the apples it produces so,
last week I invited several of my friends over for an
Apple Picking Party.
We had hot soup, warm rolls, and apple cider for lunch,
and then picked as many apples as we could out of the tree.

Jenny and Lindsay

Carly
Nicole
Lindsay, Jenny and Tammy

Krista

We divided all of the apples up and everyone took as many as they could use.
I wanted to try canning for the first time this year.
It was an amazing learning experience and a total success!
We canned 25 quarts of apple pear sauce
and
51 quarts of apple pie filling

3 comments:

BLAU said...

Erin-You amaze me! You are always doing such fun things with your friends. Why aren't I more like my big sister? :)

Beverly said...

Way to go little canner!! Such a great way to have food storage.

SPARKY said...

you go girl! that's a lot of apple pies!
i love the apple picking party idea. have to keep that in mind if i ever have an apple tree :O) i would've loved to be there. miss you. i hope you are doing great. it looks like you are!
jen and i tried canning marinara sauce and salsa last year. it went pretty good,but dang it's a lot of work!