Sunday, July 5, 2009

The Freedom Run

For the 4th of July, we woke up early and the boys ran the Freedom Run 1/4 mile race in Centerville.  Well, Thomas ran, and Tyler rode his new bike.  Thomas ran really fast.  He finished top 20.  Tyler was the first to start and the last to finish.  As he came down the home stretch, everyone was cheering for him.  He worked so hard to get through that finish line, (everyone could see how hard he was working, this was not easy for him!)  This was a way cool experience.  He was pretty stoic and straight faced, but he felt really proud when he was done and everyone came up to him to congratulate him.  Most of them came up to me too with tears in their eyes and told me how great it was that he was doing something like this, and one lady even hugged me, and while crying told me that that experience made her 4th of July.  It made my day too!!
Our neighborhood friends.
Thomas and Reed
Tyler getting ready for his very first race!
Thomas and Carly
Start Line
Great Job Thomas!



After the race we sold water along the parade route.  The boys sole four cases!  And made $90.00.  They worked really hard.  Toward the end Tyler was yelling at the top of his lungs..."Water for Sale!"  Thomas however, was riding in the back of the bike carrier is this really tiny space just so he didn't have to walk any more.  He looked so cute!  



When we got home they counted their money.  After paying for next weeks water, and ice, they each took $35.00.  They paid 3.50 to tithing, and put about 23.00 in savings, and then they each had 10.00 to spend, which, by the way, they wanted to spend immediately, (you're shocked..i know)  So we went to TJ Maxx with Adrea, Liv, and Bev.  Thomas got bid Incredible Hulk boxing hands, that make noises when they are hit together.  Tyler chose a Spy camera that has a light and a mirror, and a set of headphones, that when you plug it in and listen to theheadphones it makes you voice sound different.  I was so proud of how hard they worked, and I love to see how excited they get with the "fruits of their labors"


4 comments:

johnandcourtney said...

Ok- I am totally tearing up! Tyler I love you. You are an inspiration to all of us. As Grandma Alice would say, "You are my hero!"

The Bornies said...

Yaaaaa Tyler and Thomas!!! We're so proud of you! Love you guys!!

Beverly said...

This was a monumental day for me to see Tyler as well as Thomas part of the big race. I couldn't help feeling the emotion of all those years watching Tyler prepare himself to use this amazing bike. He was part of something so rewarding to all of us who watched. Brad and Erin, you are certainly bringing the world to Tyler.

And some day, I may be able to beat Thomas in a race but I don't think so. He is the champion.

I loved being with your family for two or three days. It was memorable!!

Sarahmanarah said...

That race with Tyler was a great experience. I don't think their was a dry eye.